Monday, July 7, 2008

Playing the Building

My son, my husband and I took a trip into the city in June to meet one of his teachers at the Asia Society. It was actually his principal, who has a very deep love and interest in all things Japanese and she spent her lunch hours on Wednesdays with about 5 6th graders teaching them how to speak the language. One of the other boys and his father met us there too.

We had a nice time looking at the art, and then had lunch at a great Japanese restaurant. It was great to get to know the principal on a personal level and the food was delicious.

Afterwards, my husband took us all the way downtown to Battery Park to see an installation done by David Byrne called "Playing the Building". He had this organ hooked up with little tiny hoses to several different items in this huge space: Radiators, pipes, motors, and other things I can't remember.

The best thing about it was the space. What a great place to take pictures.









4 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

Really cool :-)

I need to do something fun without going too far. How was your Maine trip? I have been wanting to go up to Vermont and New Hampshire for the longest time. Now with the price of gas, I don't want to travel too far.

Damon Peter Rallis said...

WOW!

That is incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

Nan Patience said...

Great post!

See that's what I miss about the, inspiration, innovation, excitement, human ingenuity. I mean, playing a building?! How great is that??! And I can't wait to see those waterfalls! And I'd like to go to the MOMA again, and I'm told there's now a path all along the west side waterfront where you can rollerblade and stuff. There are concerts in the park, and there's the park! And shows and exhibits and music and all kinds of food and all kinds of people and electricity in the air and lights and smells and sights...and there's an abundance of opportunities that barely exist out here.

MamaCole said...

I'm totally with you on your assesment of the city, Nan. Electricity. That's a good word for it.

Gotta get the other two kids in there this summer as well. Central Park Zoo, anyone?