Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Life

I don't know about you, but all this life is good/ I'm so lucky crap is getting a little annoying.

As hard as I try to look on the bright side and count my blessings, some days I just feel like dog doo-doo. A great psychologist friend of mine would tell me that it can be both: You can be grateful for life's gifts and feel like shit all at once. And I suppose that's just where I am.

Take this morning, for instance. I stayed up watching reruns until midnight - didn't even watch my favorite, Sex and the City. This seemed like a reasonable time to me since my alarm doesn't go off until almost 8 on summer mornings so I was getting the sleep this 40-something princess needs. The problem was my dear husband woke me at 6:15. He had something he just had to tell me, the dear. It couldn't wait. He got very close to my ear and whispered, "There's something wrong with the computer, honey." Huh? What? What's wrong?

"It smells like it's burning.

Bye. Have a good day."

Great. And good morning to you.

I managed to get him to unplug the whole power-bar thing before he left, so I could maybe squeeze in another hour of sleep without the thought of the whole system literally exploding. The problem with that, though, is that I have this very fancy power-bar thing that is battery operated to keep your system going during a power outage. And in order for the thing to let you know it's working hard, it beeps. Just like an alarm clock. Beep, beep, beep. 10 seconds later - beep, beep, beep.

Now, I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and I can tell you that I would have slept through that silly old beeping noise in a minute. I might have even incorporated the sound into my dreams like I had incorporated NPR's Steve Inskeep into a weird family camping dream the morning before. But the thing was that my cat, Felix, (click here to read more about Felix the Cat), had decided it was time for me to get up. And he is way more insistent than the computer's power-bar thing. Once he decides a person should be up, he becomes obsessed. And if the meowing next to my bed doesn't work, he'll jump up on my bed and nibble (OK, bite, really) my elbow. Or whatever body part is not unexposed by the sheets.

So, by 7 (I actually lived with the meowing and nibbling until then, I love sleeping in so much) Felix and I were downstairs fixing coffee and a plate of stinky cat food that he would, just moments later, reject. That was when I saw my clothesline full of soaking wet clothes that had been hanging out in the rain all night. Shit. Now we get rain. Near drought all summer. Dragging the hoses and sprinklers all over my property trying to prevent my grass from turning brown and all my beautiful flowers from dying and now it rains. I guess I should have been watching News 12, as local as local news gets, last night instead of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine pretends to be the janitor in a building across the street from her own so that she can order this fabulous crispy flounder from a local Chinese restaurant. (I know I've seen it at least 5 times already, but it is a funny episode. And Kristin Davis from the afore-mentioned SATC plays Jerry's love interest! An added bonus.)

So as happy and lucky as I feel that I have my health, my kids are healthy and generally happy, my husband has his job and we can pay our bills, and that our home is intact, some days are just tough. The summer weather has been beautiful and wonderful, but sometimes it rains - on your clean clothes. And sometimes your computer smells like it's burning.

Life is good. Life sucks. It can be both.

7 comments:

Luna said...

Amen Mama. I often become irritated at reading blogs about how happy and perfect some people are..how great their lives are,their families, because I feel that most of the time, it's a great big front. It doesn't feel real to me.

My life isn't perfect.

My kids aren't perfect.

My husband isn't perfect.

Nobody is friggin' perfect, alright?

And I'm ok with it.

Thanks for being real.

Nan Patience said...

It's true, Luna's not perfect.

;)

It's a real strain even trying to be perfect. Once I'm able to let that go, life is suddenly perfect, dammit.

But your point about life being good and life sucking all at once, I get that. It's hard to keep both in mind at once, though. It's like laughing and crying at the same time. You can't do it unless you've started to lose it.

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

And sometimes it is always so much easier to complain about the crap, then to sing about the happiness. And if we sing and complain at the same time, we look like we have several personalities or are manic depressive.

Life is so complicated that you never know what kind of day you are going to get when you wake up. And as long as we only have a little rain and no storms, that is a good thing.

We need Balance in our lives. The imperfections keeps us real, and the happiness reminds us that life can be good.

MamaCole said...

Just to clarify: It was my own "life is good" crap that was getting to me. The past couple of posts trying to be all upbeat and such.

Secondly, I didn't say that I wasn't perfect. Just my life, dontcha know...

;)

Natasha Beccaria said...

im totally there with ya... elated to be preggo but dammit it sucks at the same time...

There's nothing like having that "hangover" feeling ALL the time.

Im saying!

Nan Patience said...

I hate when people clarify stuff. It takes away some of the wild assumptions, the paranoia, and the quest for blood.

j-m said...

I can't imagine anyone in my house worried about me and our life being too perfect. I've been on quite a roll, lately. Just look out.
(Is it possible to have PMS, MS and postMS in the same month?)