Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pressure

Well now that I've mentioned having epiphanies, I feel so much pressure!

But, as I try to put my feelings into words, I realize how deeply personal these feelings are. I haven't shared my new "dreams" about what I want to do and accomplish with anyone. I've just been formulating them in my own mind and I think I'm a little shy about sharing.


I wonder if there is some secret fear that if I voice this stuff, I might fail at it. I don't want this to be true, but the more I think about it, the more this seems to be so.


Am I embarrassed by my new dream? Does it seem vain and silly to have thought so much about myself this past week? This realization I made was a little bit like John Updike's A Prayer for Owen Meany. Like almost all the events of my life have been leading to one thing. To one accomplishment.


As I say it, it does sound silly to me. I can't help myself, I'm not comfortable sounding confident about myself. I always have this voice that questions my own convictions. Not about external things, just about myself. I can very comfortably challenge a member of the Town Board and feel sure about my arguments. But within my own psyche - there's always this nagging doubt.

The last time I had a dream I was completely confident in was when I decided to go to graduate school 16 years ago. I was going to be a teacher in the New York public schools and somehow change the whole messed up system. I was going to make such enormous improvements, somehow single-handedly, that minorities educated in the inner city would have the same level of education as their white suburban counterparts.

Yes I was idealistic. I was 23 years old when this dream first occurred to me. But I was certain that I could do it. And I countered negative comments with cheerful assurances that they were wrong, and I was right.

Well, things didn't exactly go the way I'd planned. My first job in the Bedford Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn was tough. Nothing I'd learned at Hunter prepared me for the pressure of assessments and there was little time for social changes once I'd planned every day to the minute. The principal was tough, and she seemed to have it in for me. But the biggest roadblock to my dream was this: halfway through my first year teaching 4th grade in Bed-Stuy, I became pregnant with my son. He was born in the summer, and after that I never went back to Bed-Stuy or teaching. And there the dream died.

This was a very difficult thing for me. I didn't even realize what a loss it had been for me until years later. But my dream had vanished. And now I know, however silly it might have been, that it can never again be realized. The passing of years, the mothering of children, the weight and pressure of personal responsibilities. These things pushed the glimmer of my old dream, or any other, far below the horizon.

So now, the thought of another dream, an ideal, a purpose for my life (other than being wife and mother and housekeeper) well, to be honest, is a little scary. It's going to require some courage to share it as boldly as I did back when I was a 20 something idealist with my whole life ahead of me.

Maybe keeping this one concealed for a while makes sense. Or maybe it's just wimpy.

3 comments:

j-m said...

I think many of us find, as life progresses and "real life" interferes with professional lives, or some things just change that are beyond our control, a sense of identity loss, as dreams are not realized. I've had mine, too.

But, for me, I came to see more of dream-adjustment than abandonment. What my life has become, and seems to be pointing toward in the future, is really not that far off the mark, in terms of who I really am, deep down, at my core. Perhaps this is for you, as well. By setting aside your "dream," choosing to focus on your own child, rather than those birthed by others, and then seeing "life" take its own course, ruling your days, you are no less "you" than you were...you still have very strong ideas and opinions about what is "right" and "fair" and are willing to fight for those ideals. Just the focus, or focal point, has changed. Your identity, that once was defined as one who would take on the PS system and be a catalyst for positive change, has had to be readjusted a bit, realigned, for a better personal fit.

And, it's ok to keep your new dream inside for awhile...treasure it, nurture it, do the research to fulfill it...then, when you're ready, take the leap and share with those you trust. You might be surprised by reactions.

Best of luck in this!

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

It is funny how life over the years changes us.

MC, I am so with you on this. I too had the great dream of teaching and making a difference in the lives of our future. I also became pregnant and had to leave my dream earlier than I planned. So far I am not even thinking of what my next venture will be because my children are still so young and I can't imagine or dream about anything else right now. Whenever a thought about my future (when the kids are older) pops in my head, I squash it. I know that I can't go back to my original dream because my life and thinking is so different now than what it was 7 or 8 years ago.

I agree with JM, it will be good for you to nurture this dream for a while longer and then share with those who support you and love you.

Nan Patience said...

Yes, savor that tender dream, let it kindle your spirits.

I think people are going to be chomping at the bit to share in the excitement, when you're ready. It's inspiring, and it's especially fun to ride along when people embark on a new journey.

I, too, have felt sometimes a failure in the endeavors department, as though being a mom and wife has constrained my ability to do what it takes to succeed. And when the going got tough, due to circumstances out there and weaknesses of my own, and I found myself banging my head against the wall, I quit all that. But I find I still get hooked into these endeavors and need to be engaged in something, well, er um, engaging. If nothing else, the story of my life over these last many years has been one of continual adjustment and reflection to balance spirit and responsibilities.

You do have good people in your life who will support you when you're ready (I know you have at least one). Choose wisely who you share your heart with, make sure they're people you trust. There are a lot of nutty little people out there.

:)))