Monday, February 25, 2008

Gone South


Just got back from a very enjoyable family vacation. We drove to St. Augustine, Florida where there was just enough sun, lots of palm trees and Spanish moss and a big, wide fine-sand beach. We had 8 full days of family togetherness. Nothing like a little sun and greenery to cheer you right up!

The drive was actually OK. I'd expected that I might feel inclined to want to turn around and smack everyone by the time we'd gotten to Virginia. But we took it easy and we had plenty of room (I will never make fun of a minivan with a luggage container on top again). I invested in a couple of those headrest DVD players and let my oldest play his DS the whole time. It all went surprising well. And after a late start, we made our overnight stop somewhere in the middle of North Carolina.

Next day we drove the rest of the way, but not without stopping at the famous "South of the Border" and then Savannah, Georgia. The kids loved the tacky South of the Border and my husband and I loved Savannah. We saw dolphins swimming up the Savannah River! By midnight we'd arrived at my in-law’s house in St. Augustine, Florida. Although we were tired, and their place is on the second floor, we couldn't be more giddy about arriving, mostly because it was 74 degrees! (And did I mention the in-laws stayed in New York?)

The week was warm and sunny and we saw alligators, pelicans, sea stars, stingrays and manatees (not all at the same time). I managed to have a pina colada and my husband practiced his guitar several times. All in all it was a really great and relaxing time.


Now I'm almost completely re-immersed in my old wintry over-committed life, though and I don't want to forget some of the epiphanies I made while hanging out in the warm weather: I'm no longer young, but I am exactly the age I should be. I am very very fortunate to have such great kids and such a great husband. Being in a warm climate makes it so much easier to be friendly. I think I've figured out what I want to do when I grow up. But this is for another post.

Now I have to get into my warm bed. It's so cold in here!!




5 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Epiphanies? I LOVE epiphanies!

Natasha Beccaria said...

me too!! Can't wait to read about it!

My dad felt it necessary to "text" me pictures from his poolside lounge chair in Tampa last week.

So i sent him pictures of his "sad" puppy dog who stayed with us and "ultimately resented my parents for not taking him with them".

Ok... so it was me who did the resenting .... but who's really keeping track?

MamaCole said...

Are you resenting me too, Natasha? I hardly EVER go south. This is only the 3rd time to Florida in the past 11 years.

j-m said...

Oh, good for you! This sounds wonderful! Just what the dr. ordered. (I'm jealous, I think!)

And I want to read allll about the epiphanies, too.

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I can't be jealous because me and my family will be going very, very soon. We are actually going to St. Augustine too (my in-laws are there for the winter) and then we are going down to Jensen Beach to see my parents (they are there for 6 weeks). I can't wait. We haven't been away in so long. I think we have only been on 1 real vacation in the last 9 years. We tossed the idea around of flying vs driving and I made the decision to fly (my husband is not happy). I will elaborate on that in one of my next posts.