Thursday, February 7, 2008

"Nothing Gold Can Stay"


Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.


My 11-year-old son read and studied this Robert Frost poem in school a couple of months ago. And once I re-read it, I really felt connected to it in a new way.

The last time I read or thought about the poem, or much of Robert Frost I'm afraid to say, was when I was in my 20's. That's when I had the time, frankly.

But this poem is written by and for someone of years.

Someone with wisdom. Someone who knows how quickly time passes and how much things change.

Someone's who's innocence, or idealism, is lost...

7 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Ah, thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

That was nice. I just (special) ordered and received a Robert Frost book, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. They made an entire book out of the poem complete with illustration. It is beautiful. I studied poetry in college along with other English subjects (novel, short story, grammar, etc...), and I have to tell you that I hated all the poetry courses, I didn't appreciate them. Now, a bit older by more than a dozen years, I read and interpret the poems differently and I actually enjoy them now.

j-m said...

oh yeah...
I love Frost...
thanks for a great post

Luna said...

Now I'm gonna show my age and say that I do remember this poem, but only because it was in "The Outsiders"......no matter, at least I can appreciate it....pretty.

Natasha Beccaria said...

I read the outsiders....great book. God that was back in Junior High School almost 20 years ago.

pretty poem.

MamaCole said...

I have that illustrated Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening. I've read it to my children, but I haven't seen it in a while. Gotta find it...

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the poem. I'd almost forgotten it was in the Outsiders. I didn't read the book, but loved the movie.

I think we're probably ALL about the same age, no?

(You do not need to answer that).

Luna said...

hmmm yes, let's go there..I wonder if we are, in fact, around the same age...I THINK Natasha and I are in the same ball park..pretty sure...unsure about the rest of you..Is there a cryptic way of doing this? LOL