Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Time to try something new

It's been a while. Since I've tried something new. Being middle aged. Having a regular job. Being married with children. And all the responsibilities that go with it. Non of these things are conducive to trying new things. But all the more reason for me to do it. I gotta get outta the grind, man. Even in a teeny tiny way.

So I'm gonna try blogging again. I know that's not exactly new, but I'm gonna try to do it differently. I'm going to write more ... off the cuff. No starting on Word and using the thesaurus and rereading and editing and all. This is gonna be more free-form. Free flowing and stuff like that. I don't think anyone really reads this shit any more anyway, so that's a big weight off my back. If no one's actually checking it out, this blog can go any which way.

So tonight it's going in this direction: How the hell do we teach values to our kids without teaching about some higher beings (i.e. God) or some higher order (the scouts)? I've recently lost quite a bit of faith in the former, and I've never been much of a fan of the latter. I know I can tell my kids what I value. I can show them, even. And I can encourage them to value the same things. But even with the basic things: honesty, responsibility, compassion and caring- If they only learn these from me, what happens when they need to rebel against me? (And they will. They're supposed to.) Who or what can they hold these values up to? Who holds them accountable?

Do kids' moral values develop progressively? Like their intellect or their ability to reason? Or do they have to be taught? Do values need to be reinforced outside the home in order for them to stick? Or does a good and solid family offer enough support?

2 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I am still reading Nicole!! I also feel like nobody reads anymore, so what's the point of writing? But then one of my friends will leave me a comment and I am inspired!

I often worry about values (manners, respect, discipline, morals, thoughtfulness, etc...) with my kids. But I think they are learning from everywhere... friends' homes, extended family, TV (I know your kids don't watch much, but when they do, they pick up on things), just out shopping and seeing strangers, school. My daughter picks up a lot from everyone and decides what is important and not, and sometimes it is quite different from what I've taught her. You've taught them the basics and more, through being a good role model, love and family support, now it is up to them to take what they have learned and apply it. I am sure in 10 yrs you will be impressed and very proud.

Anonymous said...

My son (14) is so much more staight and regimented than I am!! Just do what you do, tell them what you believe, and love them. Good luck!!!