Saturday, November 14, 2009

Small Gifts


Lately I've been blessed with a few small gifts.

The simplest was time. Time to do nothing. Time with my oldest friend on a beautiful fall weekend getaway. Time to slow down and relax with my family. Time alone. This is the commodity I miss most as a working mom. Without enough time, I find myself late for appointments, late to pick up the children, rushing from one thing to the next, often forgetting things along the way. Yesterday and today, I had very little scheduled. I was at leisure to get things done at my own pace, and had no deadlines. I caught up on paperwork, talked on the phone with a friend for an hour, had a leisurely dinner out with my husband, hung around the house with my kids and had a wonderful solitary walk - long enough to listen to a whole episode of This American Life.

Another gift I received this weekend, is the gift of my children. No - they haven't been away at a work camp since the last time I wrote. But last night I was able to see them a little differently. They are so smart and sweet and helpful. Funny, creative, insightful, and responsible. They are unique - as a group, and individually. I feel unbelievably proud of them today.

I seem to be blessed also, at this moment, with the privilege of hindsight. I attended a PTA meeting this week and I had a little realization - the kind of group that I was hoping to lead 3 years ago finally exists. The work I started with my leadership, seems really to have come around. What a gift to see progress made on something you care about and something you invested in. (I also have the gift of knowing and meeting so many dedicated women!)

There's more, like perspective and patience, the love of my family (which, though it never wanes, sometimes feels different), but I can't write any more now. My time alone is gone. But maybe the sweetest gift I got today was the beautifully scented roses that are still blooming in my yard. I cut a few and carefully placed them in a vase. Their scent is unbelievably cheering - despite the foggy drizzly weather. And today I had plenty of time to stop and smell them.

No comments: