Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sleepless in Minneapolis

I am so sick over this fiasco of a Republican National Convention, I can hardly talk about it. Ever since last Friday's announcement about Sarah Palin, my stomach has been in knots. I started writing about how great it was that the Republicans have finally had to admit how everyone makes mistakes. What with Sarah Palin's expectant daughter, Cindy McCain's former addiction to pain killers and the fact that McCain met Cindy while he was married to his first wife, they have covered all the scandals all at once. I felt smug and satisfied.

But then, after listening to last night's beatings of Obama, I couldn't sleep. Palin is the perfect cheerleader for their team. She's cute. She's smart. She's feisty. And she's mean! And now, watching McCain's speech... fight fight fight... USA! USA! My stomach continues to turn.

This isn't a pep rally, you know? This is the next presidential election. I was telling the kids at dinner that I had to stay up to watch McCain's speech and my youngest said, "So many speeches! Is this really so important?" And I had to explain to my children how very important this election is.

I've been thinking about it all day. Whomever is elected in November will most likely be president when I send my first two kids to college. This is the person who will bring about an end to the war in Iraq, or bring additional wars in Iran and maybe Russia. The decisions this person makes will steer our economy either deeper into a recession or back out into the light. There is so much at stake.

As I watched the beautifully portrayed biographical video about McCain, I had this creepy feeling in my gut. The Republicans don't want to lose this election. They have lots at stake too. They have the best strategists working for them. (Let's face it - they got W re-elected in 2004). They seemed to know that Sarah Palin was just what this campaign needed.

What if they win? What if McCain and Palin win??

Shit. I need a Tylenol PM.

5 comments:

Nan Patience said...

You managed to string words into sentences and sentences into paragraphs, even though you felt like slamming your fists into the keyboard and screaming. That's really good. ;)

The Dems had better take the Repubs seriously. It's a force to reckon with. The conventions were great for understanding where the two camps are coming from and where they're headed.

I couldn't sleep either.

Love the title of this blog post, "Sleepless in Minneapolis," you clever, clever girl!

Jen said...

I agree with you completely---I have a VERY uneasy feeling about this whole thing.

Though I take issue with "they got W. reelected"----I would say, "They managed to steal another election!"

But still.

Jen

j-m said...

If I have to listen to McCain's whiny voice for 4 yrs (especially after putting up with Dub'yah's" nerve-grater for 8), I think I will...what? Flip the channel or the radio station, like I already do?

sigh...

I just can't take any more irritating voices. It's just not presidential. The president of the U.S. should have a commanding presence, and a voice to be respected. Not one to be mimicked and mocked over and over and over.

Natasha Beccaria said...

he reminds me of richard dreyfus!

im so done with this crap too. When are politians going to wake up and realize no one wants to hear about this for 6 friggin' months!!!!! Ive been contemplating moving to Europe for the last 10 years... perhaps its time to start having that conversation with Rob.

MamaCole said...

OMG, J-M. I am so glad you said that about McCain's voice. I was thinking that it was petty, but I feel the exact same way about his voice and Dubya's. Not to mention the first George Bush.

Whiny and irritating. Exactly. it is important, isn't it? How about Palin's twang. When she talks, don't you always expect her to say, "dontcha know?"