Monday, September 8, 2008

Procrastination Temptation

I have so much to clean up. So much to organize. I am actually, as I type, knee deep in papers that I've been going through. Well, actually they're in the other room, the piles of crap, and I came in here to escape. And procrastinate.

The computer is such a distraction for me. It's like a Siren, calling me into the virtual abyss, keeping me from being productive and completing projects. It calls me like the TV used to call me before I cancelled my cable subscription. Now, with only 15 or so channels, it's not so tempting. But this Internet. This computer - oh how I drown in its layers. How it cradles my mind, protecting me from my real life and all that I am supposed to be doing. Ahh sweet surrender...

I need to get away from it now. I need to get back to my real life. But I've always been bad at resisting temptation and I've always enjoyed a really great escape. The pull is strong and there are so many unread emails. Just 5 more minutes...

I am sitting at a table and across from me is a large mirror. I just looked up and caught sight of myself, and I didn't entirely like what I saw. My eyes are red and tired-looking and I look drunk with virtual information and disheveled from the fight. And I can actually see what I have become, having given in to the tempting escape once again. I feel like a junkie.

I have to go. I really really have to go now. Please don't ask me to stay any longer. Please...

5 comments:

Nan Patience said...

No, don't go...

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

I feel the same way. I gave up so many bad things (smoking, drinking, etc..), but it is the internet that I can't seem to give up. I also have a pile of crap that I need to do, and I keep procrastinating. Who really wants to work, when we can play, quietly (now that the children are in school), on the computer? It seems even when I am working, like making dinner, the computer is on and next to me! It just shows that I can multi task!!

Mom of 3 said...

My home office is an absolute disaster, and everytime I sit here typing I think I really should be organizing.
While I am in Florida this time a wonderful, generous, amazing friend is coming in to do the organizing for me.
I am so blessed :)

I hope you find what you are looking for, and if not we LOVE to read your blog :)!

j-m said...

Oh, I could almost have written this...altho' not so eloquently, of course. Right now, as I read through the NorthForkBloggers, I am supposed to be making a lesson plan for tomorrow.

But I just don't want to. This is so much more fun.

j-m said...

And, momof3, I am VERY jealous. You should SEE my house. (or then...maybe you shouldn't. Nobody should, really. Pretty scary stuff)