Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Working Mama

Well, the newest chapter in my life has begun: I officially started work at SUNY Stony Brook today. No more SAHM here. (That's "stay at home mom" for those of you who don't know Urban Baby discussion board language). (Oh, and SUNY is the State University of New York). I've joined the ranks of mothers who bring their kids to school in decent shoes and wearing make-up, and then march off to the office, shop, job site, studio.

What an enormous change! Wearing make-up - at 8 AM! I'm a woman who walked my kids to the end of the driveway to put them on the bus, in her pajamas! It had gotten so that I actually drove - 4 miles away - to my son's school to drop him off, again, in my pajamas!

So now I have to dress well, leave the house promptly and have the kids do a lot more for themselves. I can't direct them through every step of dressing and readying for school. Jack has to take the bus - even the early bus, which comes at 6:55. No more rides from mommy. And everyone has to pitch in with breakfast dishes and feeding the cat.

It's too early to comment on the job itself. My first day started with no phone line, no email address and a desk piled high with piles of... I don't know what because I don't now what anything is. I even managed to spill a little coffee on my mouse pad. No one bothered me, though. I felt a little like George Costanza when he got that new job and had to pretend to be working on "The Pensky File." I kept shuffling papers around and looking busy, so in case anyone did stop in, it wouldn't look too bad. (OK, I'm exaggerating, but not by much).

I chalked it up to typical first day trials and left my office with a smile on my face.

Wait, where did I leave?

My Office.

That's what I thought I'd said. That feels pretty cool.

9 comments:

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

Congratulations!
I sent you an email yesterday too!!
I remember when my mother went back to work when I was in school, and she got a job at SUNY Stony Brook!
Good for you, going back to work. Does it feel weird to lose the title of SAHM and change it to working mom?
:-)

Mom of 3 said...

Isn't it nice to have accomplishments of your very own?! Being a mom is fantastic, but it is nice to put on another hat too. Congratulations! Enjoy.

MamaCole said...

It's actually not weird at all. It feels very organic. My family is really behind me. It's a group effort, ya know?

Natasha Beccaria said...

that is so awesome for you! How exciting! Congrats on your first day.

Moondancer said...

Congratulations! This is a big step...I wish you the best.

Nan Patience said...

Wooo-whooo! You go girl.

You may find yourself one day soon at the supermarket... after work! All dressed up, just grabbing a few things...

Let me know where we're going when you get your first paycheck.

Damon Peter Rallis said...

YAY for you MamaCole.

Rock it!

You will...

:)

Anonymous said...

Hoooray! And welcome to the wonderful world of keeping one more ball in the air! Kiss a couple of your favorite nighttime shows goodbye, but at least you have your own office, you lucky duck! I'm in the workplace for 100years and find myself in a cube.

MamaCole said...

Thanks for all the support!

My first paycheck will help offset the costs of work: New clothes, child care and the parking expenses I incurred before I got my official parking pass.

NEXT paycheck is mine.