Monday, April 28, 2008

Spring Break

Oh my goodness. This past week has been the longest week I've had all year. All kids, all the time. Kids. Kids. Kids. Kids. All I can say is, sheesh.

Oh, and Whoo-Hoo!! (I can't believe Wamu was the first to think of using this as an ad slogan. It's perfect, if you ask me). It's 9 AM and they have all gone off to school and mommy is finally alone. Now I know I could never homeschool. I need my time to myself.

Don't get me wrong. I love my kids. More than anything. Really. And I am devoted and dedicated to their lives and making them happy. Maybe that's the problem. So much devotion and dedication can get pretty wearying, you know? Plus there's all the drama. This is a special feature of my own family that I'm pretty sure I can attribute to myself: Emotions, sensitivity, and a lack of resiliency (more on this at another time).

I didn't take one walk, one exercise class, or eat healthy at all. I saw one friend one time (our trip to Indian Island) but we couldn't talk, because my children were consuming all my energy and attention. (Well, to be fair, it was one child who was consuming me).

This past week we experienced: 3 play dates, (2 of which included dinner and one was a sleepover) at my house, a trip to Huntington, a trip to Peconic, a hamster lost (in the house) for several hours, no fewer than 5 temper tantrums, and a vomiting episode AT THE TABLE at a local restaurant. Oh, and a Riverhead K-9 police officer and his dog sniffing around our backyard!

I won't go into more detail, though I know it would be very funny - all of it, out of respect for my kids. The humor in it might be the only thing that kept me from hurting anyone. Let me tell you, the Adventures were abounding this week. And this old girl has had enough.

What am I going to do this summer? Sleep away camp, anyone???

4 comments:

Nan Patience said...

My son was complaining about a headache and stomach pains last night and this morning, and I think he wasn't just pulling my leg. No fever, though. I think he was just a little dehydrated from running around all day yesterday at the park with Big Daddy, so I pushed him out the door this morning with Tylenol and a bottle of water.

Look atchoo! Blogging away, first chance you get!

MamaCole said...

Good for you, Nan. You send that sick boy to school. Nothing you can do for him at home anyway, right? :) I hope you don't hear from the school nurse later...

I forgot one more adventure - it hit me during my yoga class. (That's right - catching up on all my shit). The police were looking for some house-breaker-inner in my yard. I added that to my post. For accuracy.

Aaahhh. Still relaxing. I've got about 3 1/2 more hours of peace...

Anonymous Mommy Blogger said...

After my week home with the kids, I have to tell you that I missed them yesterday when they went to school. Granted that I didn't see them for 3 of the 9 days, but I enjoyed having them around the other 6. I am actually looking forward to summer and getting closer to them during the warm months. Last summer was the best and I was sad sending them to school in September. If I was around them every single day without one single break I might be singing a different tune :-), but thanks to my parents I got my few breaks.

Mom of 3 said...

Funny, funny, funny! However, I would guess theywere hogging your attention because they had you all to themselves! Since I am with my kids most of the time they never want to go out with me :)