Thursday, August 9, 2007

"Do I Know You?"

I, like the lunachick, had so many things to write about today. I was alone a lot (yay) and without my cellphone (very rare) and I was having all these epiphanies. But now I'm a little too sleepy to write about any of those.

Then there's the fact that my oldest child will turn 11 tomorrow. I'm feelin' all kinds of sentimental about that. Naah. Too sappy.

How about this though. Does anyone out there know Connie Vaccaro? I'm guessing probably not, since she has a Canadian email address. The thing is, though, I seem to be on her short list for fwd: fwd: fw emails. And the other thing is: I don't know who she is.

I get a lot of fwd: fwd's and I really can't stand them. Usually they're about the latest scheme rapists are using to get you in a Mall parking lot. Or about some American-loving Iraqi sculptor who created an homage to the US army.

But often I get the "Women are the best" variety. They usually talk about how I'm one of the best friends this person has, or how I'm a "smart and independent" woman. And usually they come from someone I know and love. (Well, not always the love part).

But about a month ago I got one from Connie Vaccaro. Her name sounded familiar. Maybe she is one of my cousins' wives or daughters who live out in Nevada. One of the people I met a reunion a couple of years ago. But I'm not that forgetful, am I? And wouldn't I have seen my mother's or sister's email along with the few she has listed?

So I saved the email, hoping I'd figure out who she was. But I didn't. Over the past few days, I've gotten two more emails from her: "The purple hat," and "A funny story." I did a little search on her email address, and I found out she's from a Canadian Healthcare company. Now I'm really intrigued.

But I'm kind of stuck. I can't exactly reply to her email with "Thanks, that's cute! Oh, and WHO ARE YOU??" (My kids disagree, btw. They think I should write just that!)

Oh no. I just thought of something. What if it's a hoax and she's sending me a virus to wipe out my computer's memory. I haven't gotten that email yet. Have any of you??

6 comments:

Luna said...

Oh, I'd love to see you ask her who she is...that would be great..how intriguing.

I hate forwards, and I'm usually pretty blunt to the people that send them, because I have not time for it. I love receiving all those "women friends" ones, because they're usually from women that'll stab you in the back after they send it.

It's a front...

I vote for the inquiry...isn't it KILLING you?

MamaCole said...

Yes and no. I'm just so scattered these days, I'm afraid she's someone I should know. Like an old friend. Or a family friend or something. I'll let you know what I do.

Luna said...

How about sending something vague, like-"how are things going? I haven't seen you in so long..."

Maybe she'll come back at YOU and say "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

LOL. Funny situation.

Nan Patience said...

Strangely enough, there was an op-ed piece by Nora Ephron today in the Sunday Times that talks about this very problem. You've GOT to read it.

Natasha Beccaria said...

This is funny because for the last few weeks i have been CCing some emails to who i thought was my father's best friend "Don".

The other day I got a response from Don from a forward i sent that it thought might give him and all the other people i CC'd a good chuckle.

"Don" asked about my friend Erin - whom i specifically addressed in the email.

I wrote him back saying he probably didnt know my friend Erin but I am sure he would think she was funny. And then i asked "WHY?"

"Don" wrote me back and said "well based on your email, I thought it would be nice to meet her. Is she single? Married? Kids?".

HUH???? So i wrote him back and said rather bluntly, "Wait a minute. WHo are you? Is this the right Don?".

Havent heard a peep from him since.

I guess i have the wrong email LOL

Lizzy said...

I sincerely believe you could do a monthly column at Oprah magazine.