Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Big M

Can we talk about mammograms?

If you've had one, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, like my husband, then you really need to know what it's like.
Think of two plates of plexi-glass, situated at about chest level, which are controlled by an electronic vice. The vice pushes the plates together slowly, but persistently, so that the tissue between them is spread out as thinly as possible. Your breast goes in there.

First, though, the technician basically holds your breast and moves it into place. Yesterday, when I had my last one, it was very warm out. But your not allowed to wear deodorant or powder or anything, so, as my tech put it, "people keep getting stuck" in the wrong piosition. When this happens, the tech will basically peel your breast off the plate and reposition it.

Then, with your face pushed against the top of the machine, and your arm reaching across, you have to stay still while the vice closes. During this portion of the procedure, I like to watch the numbers on the electronic gauge as they quickly decrease. I take little guesses about when it will start to hurt, and when the vice will finally stop closing.

Then the technician says, "stop breathing." I'm not kidding. This is what she says. Apparently, if you breathe, the picture gets blurry and they have to repeat the whole process. So, I held my breath.

Then you're done. With the first picture. Of the first breast.

When the vice is released, you feel a little silly standing there so close to the machine, half naked, your gown hanging off one shoulder. But you can take comfort in the fact that very soon, and if she's good, very quietly, the technician will be handling your breast again.

I'm not complaining, or anything. I'm glad the procedure exists, considering how many women are getting breast cancer at such a young age. I'm just saying, man, it sucks. And man, we are pretty tough creatures, women, to go through this every year (for me it's twice a year).

Just imagine, for a minute, the same procedure for men's private parts. They already complain about handling during a doctor's exam, what if they had to endure the crushing?? It would never happen.

12 comments:

Nan Patience said...

sounds like a wave of mutilation

I have a script sitting on my desk to get one done, a routine annual deal now. Last year, it sat on my desk all year. When the kids get back to school, I'll make the appointment. I've never had a mammo before, and I'm not looking forward to it. On the other hand, I've had all kinds of manual exams...

Damon Peter Rallis said...

OUCH! I'll be the first to say it... I am so glad that I am not a woman. You guys ARE tough!

Luna said...

OK, you've petrified me Nicole..I have many years to go for that-and the day I have to is the day I take delivery of Jean Marie's bus for my life altering road trip.

See, it all comes together nicely, doesn't it?

Is that what they're calling it these days, Nance?

MamaCole said...

Oh no! I didn't mean to scare anyone!! I'd assumed everyone had experienced it along with me, and that this description would be funny. PLEASE don't put off going any longer. My sister was diagnosed at age 34. She found the lump herself - hadn't had a mammo yet.

Another friend was also diagnosed in her 30's. And an aquaintance from the kids' school.

Oh man. I'm holding my head in both hands thinking I've done such a bad thing - disCOURaging mammos! Not at all my point!!

Thanks, 6 fingered.

Luna said...

Well, don't know about the rest of you, but my wonderful, state of the art HMO will not pay for a 33 year old to have a mammo as a precautionary thing. We like to be reactive here in this country!

Maybe I'll go to Cuba and have one ;)

You didn't scare me (ok, maybe a little), I was joking lady! 2 C-sections and a major surgery here-I think I can take a little cold squeezing when the time comes.

MamaCole said...

Right, lunachick. Plus you've had those tatoos, too.

Nan Patience said...

hey, hey, hey now! I've stepped on many, many prickly holly leaves!

Luna said...

and a nose ring at one point.....

Now you know why King of Pain is one of my favorite tunes...I have a pretty high tolerance for it..LOL

MamaCole said...

You're tough too, Nance.

Go get your mammo for goodness sake!

j-m said...

I knew an 18-year-old girl who had breast cancer. And I knew a MAN in his early 40's with it. Yeah. And forget the HMO. The cancer society has that free mammo van every year. Google it. And do it. It hurts like hell, but you'd rather catch it early. I've lost toooo many people to cancer. Enough already.

Allie said...

Hi
Sounds like you scared a few thousand people.If they had gone for their mammo they would know that your description of it was very broad and meant to be funny. If they did not know that,then they should go have one so that they know what you know
which is how IMPORTANT it is for all woman to be tested.
a/a

TM said...

It WAS funny, nicole. And yeah, it hurts, but it's only for moment, and it's wealth worth it. I'm bi-yearly, too, now. But I think everyone here is intelligent and educated enough to know how important early detection is and NANCY WILL MAKE THE APPOINTMENT NOW! :)

PS - If you want a good fantasy book, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle! It's another kids' book, but it's great. It's more a mix of sci-fi fantasy. I'm thinking of trying The Golden Compass.